Yet another success from the May 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. The real name for these sandwiches is “Go Green Chicken Sammies” but I just couldn’t bring myself to use that as my post title. It’s just too Rachael-ified. But as much as I can’t stand all her goofy recipe titles, I’ve got to admit the girl knows how to write a good dinner recipe. These were delicious, healthy, and perfect for summer. I loved the herb, oil, and lime juice marinade. My only suggestion to change it up a bit is to use your own Guacamole recipe and trust your gut. In the recipe it calls for 1 small red onion for the guacamole made with two avocados. In my opinion that would make it way way way too oniony (and I’m actually a big fan of onion). I would just use 1/4 of a small onion.
Go Green Chicken Sammies
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Grated peel of 1 lime plus juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Four skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 deli slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 hamburger buns or crusty rolls, split and toasted
- 1 head bibb lettuce or green leaf lettuce
- Tortilla chips, for serving
In a shallow dish, combine the EVOO, cilantro, scallions, thyme, lime peel, half of the lime juice, and the hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill the chicken until cooked through, 12 minutes. Just before the cooking time is up, top each breast with a slice of pepper jack cheese.
In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, red onion, tomato, jalapeños, garlic, lemon juice and remaining lime juice; season with salt.
Top each bun bottom with lettuce, a chicken breast, a mound of guacamole and a bun top. Serve with the tortilla chips.